Employment law is a highly complex and fascinating area of law. It is perhaps the area of law which changes and evolves the most and there has been a lot of employment law passed in the last 10 years, which has had a tendency to worry and frustrate employers who face an ever greater burden of complying with their employer legal responsibilities.
Employment law is inherently highly political, there is really no other area of law which directly and meaningfully impacts on so many people, so there is always a difficult balancing act for the government between the competing rights and responsibilities of employers and employees.
Some aspects of employment law have very rapidly evolved in the last few years such as :-
- discrimination law as regards such issues as age discrimination and the equality act
- Social media use in the workplace and privacy law
- Computer forensics playing an increasingly important role in employment law
Other areas of employment law which are fascinating and complex are :-
- compromise agreements which are a prime example of the political nature of employment ;law
- unfair dismissal
- constructive dismissal
- maternity and paternity rights